Wednesday, March 10, 2010

...it's a project two-fer.

Wyatt is in cadets.  Cadets get to build little cars out of blocks of pine that they race down a slotted track.  Dads get to help.  Super-yay!  We made a car.  It looks like this:



This also gave me the perfect opportunity to use something I've had lying around the storage room for far too long.  I made a DIY macro studio about six months ago.  It's a cardboard box with the sides cut out and then replaced with white silky fabric.  I say "silky" because real silk was absurdly expensive.  Allegedly, it creates a nice soft, even light source for photographing small objects with minimal shadows.


Honestly, I had a little trouble with getting the exposure close.  I either blasted it to bright white, or lost the detail.  I'm actually okay with how these came out, though, because the white stripes don't disappear into the white background.


The other thing I fought was depth of field.  I couldn't really get to a point that I got the whole car crisply.  I understand that it's a function of aperture... but I should have dialed up the flashes and tried that.

I also did a couple shots on black to be "artsy".


Even if I still have a lot to learn about the nuances of the macro studio, I had a BLAST making this car with Wyatt.  Spring is almost here, and I can't wait to get back to outdoor portraits.  Maybe I'll top my current pace of a post a month (or so) when the weather breaks.  :)

2 comments:

  1. More than a post a month would be less disappointing for your readers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right???? Practically overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete